If you are using Microsoft Outlook 2013, your email messages and other mailbox items are stored automatically in an .ost file instead of .pst. It does not matter whether you are connected to MS Exchange Server or not, the Outlook data file which is created by Outlook is saved in OST format. In the earlier versions, i.e. MS Outlook 2010 and earlier,your Outlook program creates a data file in PST format to store your email messages and other data items. In these versions, if you are connected with MS Exchange Server, then the Outlook data file is saved in OST format. But in MS Outlook 2013, Outlook data file of OST format is created by default.
Sometimes you are in need to change your .ost file into PST format. But if you are using the higher version of MS Outlook, i.e. 2013, you cannot change your .ost file into PST format. To perform this task you need to downgrade your MS Outlook version, i.e. install MS Outlook 2010 or any earlier version on your system. Then only you are able to convert your .ost file into PST format.
Generally an .ost file can be converted into PST format by both ways, i.e. by using some manual techniques and by using an advanced OST to PST converter. When there are some effective manual techniques available, we should try them before going for any 3rd party software. Basically in MS Outlook, there is not any proper way to convert an .ost file to PST format. Therefore, file conversion can be done by importing or moving the data from an .ost file to PST format. In such situation, the Archive, Import and Export and Move features of MS Outlook would be useful. The Import and Export is the most beneficial manual technique to convert an .ost file into PST format. Follow the steps given below to perform this technique:
- If your MS Outlook is connected to MS Exchange Server, launch MS Outlook and log in to your Email Exchange Server account. By logged in to Exchange Server, you can view the contents of your .ost files.
- Click on File tab > Open > Import.
- Choose an action to perform: select Export to a file and click on Next.
- Select Outlook Data File (.pst) > and click on Next.
- If you want to export each and everything to a .pst file, select Outlook Data File at the top. Check Include subfolders box and click on Next.
- Save as Exported file as: click on Browse and select a location for this new file. Type a name for this file. The selected location along with the file name will be shown in the edit box.
- Now select any option to perform action with the duplicate items. Once the option is selected, click on Finish.
Recommended: Backup PST File of Microsoft Outlook ?
All your data from selected .ost file will be successfully exported to a new .pst file. If this manual technique is not suitable for you or if it fails, you can try advanced OST File Recovery software of SysInfoTools. The software is an OST file recovery cum Converter app that not only helps you recover your data from corrupt .ost files but also allows you to convert them into PST format and other file formats, such as: MSG, DBX, EML, MBOX and Archive (EML, VCF, ICS and text) format.