You must face difficulties while managing or opening them if they are large in number. What do you do if you have multiple Outlook .pst files in your Outlook profile? PST merge is the first thing what comes to your mind. Since .pst files are invaluable for an Outlook user, so the action of PST merge should be executed properly and in a safe manner.Microsoft Outlook supports a built-in feature that can be used to combine PST files.
If you are using MS Outlook 2010, you need to follow the steps shown below to merge your .pst files:
- First open MS Outlook program.
- Create a new .pst file. Click on New Items > More Items > Outlook Data File.
- The window “Create or Open Outlook Data File” will appear. Name this new .pst file and click on OK.
- You can see this new .pst file is highlighted in the Outlook navigation pane.
- Now click on File tab > Open > Import.
- The “Import and Export wizard” will appear. Select Import from another program or file and click on Next.
- Now select Outlook Data File (.pst) and click on Next.
- File to import: Click on Browse to select a .pst file from which you want to import data.
- Check Do not import duplicates and click on Next.
- Now select a folder to import from the selected .pst file.
- Check Import items into the same folder in: and select the new .pst file which you have created earlier. Click on Finish.
- The selected folder of the selected .pst file will be imported to the new .pst file within a few seconds.
But one thing you should know that Import and Export feature doesn’t allow you to import multiple mailbox folders at the same time. For example: if you want to import four mailbox folders from a .pst file, you have to import them one by one to a new .pst file. It may take enough time if you want to merge ten .pst files into one file by using this feature. In such situation, you must use SysInfoTools PST Merge software to merge your multiple .pst files into a single file. It doesn’t take enough time and safely combines your multiple .pst files into one file.
If you are using MS Outlook 2007, you need to follow the steps shown below to merge your .pst file.
- First open Microsoft Outlook program.
- Now open all the .pst files which you want to merge in your Outlook profile. Click on File tab > Open > Outlook Data File.
- Once all the .pst files are opened, get all of them in a single System folder.
- Select a .pst file to make it the base file to merge all other .pst files into it.
- Now first open the main .pst file which you have selected as the base file. Then open other .pst files as well.
- All the .pst files will be shown in the Outlook navigation pane. Expand them one by one.
- Now move the items from the expanded file to the opened file. Fox example: If you want to move Contacts, right click on it and select Move Contacts.
- A new short window will appear. Select the opened file and and then select Contacts. Now click on OK.
But before using this technique, make sure you have backed up all those .pst files which you are going to merge into a single file. As you can see, you have to move each mailbox item of a .pst file one by one. This will surely take your enough time along with a lot of hard work. In such situation you can use SysInfoTools PST Merge software to combine multiple Outlook .pst files into a single file.