IBM Lotus Notes and MS Outlook are two of the most used email clients. These clients have dominated the market for a long time. IBM Lotus Notes have been at the top since its first release in 1989 and apart from acting as an email client, it provided the user with the variety of features like scheduling, calendaring, programming etc. MS Outlook, on the other hand, presented its user with all these features bundles into a simple and easy to use UI. But still, though IBM Lotus Notes is not that user-friendly, its unbeatable encryption kept it on the edge. Naturally, various organizations and users started shifting and migrating from Lotus Notes to Outlook which spawned a common question all the users had: How To Convert NSF File Into PST Format?
Recommended Blog: Evolution of Lotus Notes and NSF File Formats
The Need for NSF to PST Conversion
IBM Lotus Notes has been the preferred email client for many organizations since a long time. It provides unmatched security through encryption. But since the support for the product has been discontinued (for earlier versions of the client), maintenance of this email client has become very costly. So in order to reduce the cost incurred due to high maintenance needs of this tool and increase productivity, many organizations are now shifting to a different email client.
Drawbacks of IBM Lotus Notes
- Since IBM Lotus Notes discontinued support for its client (earlier versions only), the maintenance costs of Notes has become very high. Many users and organizations have started or have already switched to other email clients as a cost-cutting measure.
- Although IBM Lotus Notes is famous for its unmatched level of security, this also affected Lotus Notes’ accessibility to a large extent. Lotus Notes does not allow any kind of synchronization or plug-in support with any third party clients.
- IBM Lotus Notes was developed for users with sound technical knowledge. During that time, novice users didn’t have much need for this client. This made IBM Lotus Notes much less user-friendly.
- If we talk about support features, IBM Lotus Notes is not supported by any Smartphone or Tablet which means that there are no means of remotely accessing the client.
- Additionally, you can access only one account on your Lotus Notes client at a time. Every time you need to access a different account, you need to log out of that current account and reconfigure your new account with credentials which increases un-productivity.
Advantages of using MS Outlook
- The main reason people migrate into MS Outlook is its low maintenance costs. Outlook is included with MS Office Suite and there is no need to buy it separately.
- Accessibility of MS Outlook is unparallel. You can access Outlook from a PC or Mac as well as from Mobiles, Tablets etc.
- MS Outlook supports various plug-ins, lets users use multiple accounts, lets user connect with multiple apps like apps Skype, One Drive, LinkedIn, Twitter etc.
- MS Outlook is much more user-friendly than IBM Lotus Notes as it has Search Feature, Automatic email organization for sorting and filtering.
- You can access and use different accounts on MS Outlook simultaneously without the need for entering credentials every time.
- Microsoft Outlook has been designed keeping in mind its vast demographic of expert as well as novice users.
MS Outlook is one of the most used email clients in this case. But in order to migrate from IBM Lotus Notes to Outlook, we must convert NSF file into PST format. In this article, we are going to discuss two different methods of migrating IBM Lotus Notes database into MS Outlook by learning How to Convert NSF file into PST Format.
Recommended Blog: Lotus Notes VS Outlook: A Lotus Notes and Outlook Comparison
How To Convert NSF File Into PST Format Manually?
As we know that NSF file cannot be accessed by MS Outlook, hence we use a manual method of migration. Although manual method does not guarantee complete database migration in its original format, this process can be used if in case only selective data needs to be accessed. This manual method consists of extracting data from the NSF file and saving that data in a format which can also be accessed by MS Outlook and then importing that data to Outlook client. In this method, the intermediate file in which we save the data would be CSV. The manual procedure that we are going to use is based on 2 steps:
- Exporting data from Lotus Notes Client and saving it in an intermediate file.
- Importing data from the intermediate file into MS Outlook
Exporting data from Lotus Notes Client and saving it in an intermediate file.
Follow the procedure mentioned below in a step by step manner in order to export data from Lotus Notes Client into an intermediate file:
- Launch IBM Lotus Notes Client.
- Select the NSF file from which you need to export the data.
- Once you have selected and opened the file on Lotus Notes, Click on File on the menu bar and then from the drop down menu Click on Export.
- On the Export Wizard, enter file name, file location and file type as CSV.
- A CSV Export dialogue box will pop up, and over there select the necessary options.
Importing data from the intermediate file into MS Outlook.
Follow the procedure mentioned below in a step by step manner in order to import the data from intermediate file to MS Outlook:
- Launch MS Outlook Client.
- Click on File and the from the dropdown menu, Click Open and then Click on Import.
- Upon clicking Import, an Import and Export Wizard will pop up and will present you with various options. From those options, select Import form another program or file and the click on Next.
- Now select file type as Comma Separated Values (Windows) and click on Next.
- Then click on Browse and locate the CSV file created earlier using the Export Wizard of Lotus Notes, select from the provided options on whether to create duplicate entries or not and the click on Next
- Now select the Outlook folder into which you want to import the data and then click Finish.
- The data stored in the CSV file would be imported into MS Outlook.
Limitations of MANUAL Conversion:
- Manual conversion technique is very tedious and complicated and is definitely not recommended for basic users.
- Manual conversion technique only lets us import the email header, and not the entire body content.
- Since manual conversion technique take a lot of time, migrating entire databases becomes impractical in such situations.
- Migrating using manual procedure is tricky and must be done very carefully as improper technique might corrupt files.
- Manual conversion uses CSV format as mediator for conversion. This causes your files to be imported in their raw form, hence it might not transfer data in its original format or maintain files and folders hierarchy.
- You cannot transfer selective data through this procedure. Rather you have to transfer the entire file.
- Manual technique allows only one NSF file to be converted at a time which can make the entire process very tiresome and monotonous.
Recommended Blog: 6 Approaches For A Successful Lotus Notes to SharePoint Migration
Easy Way of converting NSF file into PST format:
In order to migrate from IBM Lotus Notes to Outlook, we must transfer Notes database into Outlook. But IBM Notes stores data in NSF format while MS Outlook uses PST format to do the same. Therefore it is imperative to convert NSF file into PST format. NSF to PST Converter lets us convert the database of the entire NSF file into PST format easily and swiftly. This tool uses powerful algorithm to convert NSF file into PST format even if the NSF file are encrypted. NSF to PST converter does not require any prior technical knowledge to use and is therefore ideal for all types of businesses.
Follow the step-by-step procedure mentioned below to convert NSF file into PST format:
- Launch NSF to PST converter application and select the NSF file.
- You can select multiple NSF file for conversion and start the scanning process.
- Upon completion of the scanning process, you can preview the file and click export to start the conversion process.
- After conversion is complete, you can provide the date range and then save the data into PST format at any desired location.
- The saved PST file would contain all of the selected data from the NSF file and can be used in any version of MS Outlook.
Recommended Blog: Steps to Export Lotus Notes Emails to EML Messages
When we need to migrate the entire databases from IBM Lotus Notes to Outlook, manual method becomes impractical. It make the entire procedure very tedious and complicated. NSF to PST converter is a comprehensive tool that caters to all NSF to PST conversion specifications. It can also be used to convert NSF file into PST format while keeping the original NSF file intact. This tool is ideal for bulk conversion needs and can convert data like emails, contacts, calendar, journals, etc. accurately.