Microsoft provides two best email programs to its users, MS Outlook and Outlook Express.
MS Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office suite and also comes as a separate application, while Outlook Express is included with Internet Explorer (from v4.0 to 6.0). It also comes with several versions of Microsoft Windows operating systems, i.e. from Windows 98 to Window Server 2003. They both use different file formats to store data. In MS Outlook, your email messages and other mailbox data are saved in an Outlook data file, known as PST (Personal Storage Table) with .pst file extension. In Outlook Express, your mailbox data are saved in DBX (Database eXchange) file with .dbx file extension.
Sometimes you need to open a .pst file in Outlook Express, but it does not support PST format. What will you do in such situation?
1. Open your Microsoft Outlook program.
2. Click on File tab > Open and click on Import.
3. The “Import and Export” wizard will appear on your screen. Select “Export to a file” from the list and then click on Next.
4. Now select “Comma Separated Values (DOS)” from the list and click on Next.
5. Select any folder (single folder at a time) from the list that you want to export. Click on Next.
6. Type a name for this new file and click on “Save Export As”. Click on Next.
7. Now click on Finish.
8. Save this export file to any desired location.
9. Now open your Outlook Express program, click on File > Import > Other Address Book.
10. Select Text File and click on Next.
11. Find the file you have exported earlier from Microsoft Outlook and then click on Next.
12. Click the check boxes to map the CSV files to the correct address book fields.
13. Click on “Import This Field”, and then click on Finish.
Recommended: 1. How to take Backup of Outlook Express data ?
Note: You cannot use both MS Outlook and Outlook Express programs in a single system. If you are using Outlook Express in your system, you cannot install MS Outlook or vice-versa.
If this technique does not work or seems to be less effective, then you can also try SysInfoTools Email Converter software. It will help you convert your .pst files into DBX format and then you will be able to open them in Outlook Express. The software performs conversion of different types of email files, such as: DBX, PST, EML, MSG into other popular formats like: PST, DBX, EML, MSG, RTF and HTML. The software is available with free demo version. Download its free demo version first from here: SysInfoTools Email Converter.